Saturday, December 17, 2011

62 TURNS RAJINI!



On the occasion of Rajinikanth’s birthday I was watching a talk show on TV. The host asked several people as to when and how did they get attached to him or started liking him. It was a simple question but then I thought about it for a while and could not come up with an answer. I do not remember when I started liking him. It was one of those involuntary things children pick up; like a language or the tune of a song without having any clue of the lyrics. Usually we did not go to theaters to watch movies those days. But we always made an exception for every Rajini movie. Simply put: I just grew up adoring him!

Almost everyone will have his/her own reason for liking him. He has managed to entertain us in every possible way: by his on-screen persona, his off-screen charisma and even through countless Internet jokes. But that one thing that makes him rule the hearts of millions is the fact that he sheds the grease paint the moment he steps out of a studio. He never acts his life out; he lives it. Like any and every one of us. That is what makes him so irresistible. A great man living a simple life; trust me it is not easy. And I am happy that he just is!

It was his birthday this week and as usual people were busy wishing him, fans celebrated his birthday in a grand fashion, internet was abuzz with a full collection of his jokes and celebrities tweeted away to glory. Here are some of the interesting ones.

TomCruise: Happy bday Rajni Sir. I have just completed Mission Impossible 4. I heard you have completed all 99,999 levels. I know you will call me “jujuubii”!

AnnaHazare: Today I am privileged to get the CNN Rajini of the Year Award. I dedicate this award to you on your b’day! And I request you to join our fight. Together we can send corruption to the hospital!

RahulGandhi: @AnnaHazare: Did you see the power of Rajini? He has made you offer him a bribe!

SRK: They tell me I can sell any brand. They also tell me that I sell every other brand. But I always wonder how brand Rajini is worth more than everything else. And you don’t even sell it. Happy b’day Sir!

KSRavikumar: Happy bday Rajini Sir. Hope we can start Rana soon. @JuniorB: I would like to discuss about signing BetiB for a movie with Rajini Sir.

DeepikaPadukone: @KSRavikumar.. I would love to do the role of Rajini’s mother in that film!

RamGopalVarma: Retweet of a retweet: Ra-One: A 2 1/2 hour cameo by SRK in a 2 minute Rajini movie!

SRK: @RamGopalVarma: At least in Twitter, try to be original!

Birthday: Rajni Sir, I am sorry on behalf of all these ignorant people. Happy Rajni to me!

Dhanush: Rajini sir thanks you one and all for your warm wishes.

An ardent fan who doesn’t live out of Twitter sends a birthday note to Rajini’s house.
“Happy bday thalaivaa. Thank you for being a superstar on screen and being yourself off it!”

The fan gets a hand written letter from Rajini: “Thank you for your lovely card. I am touched. May God bless you and your family!”

Well, jokes and tweets apart, he is a phenomenon. And that is not because he does impossible things on screen. It is because he does an impossible thing off it. He keeps himself grounded and real. He is a great man simply because he doesn’t think he is great. And he has touched and inspired so many people in ways even he doesn’t know. I am sure everyone wants to see more and more of him: be it on screen where he bashes 10 goons with ease or a rare off-screen glimpse of him in a cotton kurta-pajama and chappals. Well, as for me, a silent wish goes out from my heart to him which hopes to see many more such birthday Rajinis!

25 comments:

  1. i agree Raj - he lives his life which is what endears him to millions. His humility is unparalleled & i respect & admire him for that

    """Ra-One: A 2 1/2 hour cameo by SRK in a 2 minute Rajini movie!""" --- LMAO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sujatha. You are spot on. His humility is unparalleled. In my childhood days I used to like for his movies, action etc.. But as I grew up the human side of him attracted me more. :)

      Delete
  2. He is a legend and class apart. Fun reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Saru. He is indeed a class apart. :) Thank you so much. Glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  3. True Legend of our time :)
    well said bro !
    Thalaivar rocks :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deepak. Indeed. Thalaivar certainly rocks! :)

      Delete
  4. Fun read - love him hat him - but you just cant ignore him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Menachery. Yeah.. u cant just ignore him, can you? :)

      Delete
  5. Undoubtedly, he is the ultimate superstar.Belated Birthday wishes :)

    Regards
    village girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and a warm welcome to you. :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pratima. I shall definitely check out these blogs. :)

      Delete
  7. Your last para about him, truly sums it up well..
    He is his own league..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ruchi. A very warm welcome to you. :) Very true. He is indeed in his own league. :)

      Delete
  8. Good collection of birthday wishes for Rajani. Had a great time reading it..When I saw Rajanikant in Bollywood movie (late 1980's I think it was Andha Kanoon) I used to wonder why people like him (His acting style was different) and preferred Kamal Hasan. As time has passed and info has become easily available came to know the greatness of man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @bemoneyaware: A warm welcome to you. Yeah.. very true. Some of his Bollywood movies might not have been great. But most of his tamil ones are. :) And of course he is a great man too.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deepa. :) He indeed is an ishtyle icon! :)

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much. And a very warm welcome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was written with all due grace and awesomeness Rajnikanth deserves!! :) Yes,his foot is ALWAYS on the ground.Which Is why I too like him :)!! A fan of his jaw dropping stunts too ;) Who wouldn't love all that?!?! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jen. Am glad you liked it. And you have said everything that is adorable in Rajini. A man you can never get enough of! :)

      Delete
  12. Sheer style, Raj. And no airs at all. That man is an original that can never be copied. Loved the tweets :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vidya. :) yeah.. very well said.. Rajni can never be copied. Great man! :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Very true indeed. :) An Unbelievable and adorable personality!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...