Saturday, February 27, 2016

MY SECOND FIRST LOVE LETTER

Five years ago, I wrote a love letter. To the most beautiful woman I know. Now, I write another letter. To the most beautiful girl I will ever know. My life is constantly changing from “good” to “great” to “couldn’t be any better”. And that is because of these ladies in my life. As the little one continues to grow at break neck speed, I have decided to just sit down and assimilate all the love and beauty around me and imagine how she will be and what she will say and do as every other day goes by. And as my mind always likes fantasizing things, let me push the fast forward button and see where we go.

First of all, whenever you read this, DON’T LAUGH. Though I can’t wait for you to look at this letter and give me the look. I know you are right now busy drinking up your milk but soon time will slow down and you will stop outgrowing your clothes faster than I get my next haircut. There will be several such moments where time will stand still for us to cherish each other. And I look forward to them oh so eagerly. But for now, here is me, just wondering and imagining things on your behalf. Don’t worry… your time will come soon. Allow me to humor you for now!

This is a random letter with no rhyme or reason, no end or purpose. It is just an outpour of my mind and heart. It is all the things that I want you to do in life and all the things that I want for you from life. You will be surrounded by so many wonderful people and you will meet many such more. And make no mistake you will face a lot of tough circumstances and people as well but I am sure you will be strong enough to come off unscathed. I want you to take everything in your stride and march along and not for once turn back circumspectly. For I have always got your back.

I don’t want you to be the best in everything. I don’t want you to try either. I want you to figure out what you like to do, what makes you happy, what satiates your inner hunger, what burns your fire, what compels you to wake up every morning with a big smile on your face. I want you to find it and give it your best. I want you to fail. I want you to fall. And I want you to get right back up. I want you to dream. However simple, trivial, complex, weird, lovely your dream is, try your best to live it. Hold on to people who encourage you to achieve that dream and egg on others to achieve theirs. Life will be simple but happy.

I want you to explore music. If you have your mother’s genes, you might become a star one day. If you have mine, well, don’t worry. I will build a bigger bathroom in our house. And probably get you drums. Not related in any way to the bathroom, in case you are wondering. You are a smart girl. I am sure you will get it.

I want you to learn lots of languages. If I had a chance to pick, I would at least do: Tamil, English, Hindi, Mandarin, Spanish and French. With the first five, you will be able to speak with almost everyone in this world. The last one is just for fun.  And then I want you to travel the world. With us. Alone. With someone else. However you want. Just be a wanderlust for a while. Soak in all the fresh air, the diverse cultures, scenic pastures, breathtaking vistas and most importantly the enlightening human interactions. That will teach you a lot more than classrooms and books will ever do. Now I know what you are thinking… you little devil. You are still going to school by the way. You are allowed to bunk the occasional class and go to movies with us.

I want you to find your love. A man or woman who will love you more than me. Err… let me rephrase that… who will try to love you more than me. Don’t go looking for it. But if you find it, don’t let it go. You will know when it is for real. Or if you want to go it alone, you will have an old man and woman giving you company as far as life lets us to.
I want you to enjoy the little pleasures of life. I want you to walk with me in pouring rain and then enjoy some delicious ice cream. I want you to finish yours faster and fight with me for a bite of mine. I want you to play with us in the snow, hurl snow balls with a cute ferocity and then sit by the window sipping your mother’s refreshing tea.

I want you to try your hand at cooking. I want you to forget to add salt and look at me with a sheepish grin. I want you to add too much spice and wonder if I am crying out of joy or of the chili. And then I want you to perfect the art and cook delicious delicacies for me. And if you want to sleep in one day, don’t worry. I will get you breakfast in bed with some hot filter coffee.

I want you to be humble. I want you to be bold. I want you to be gentle. I want you to be strong. I want you to be kind. I want you to be expressive. I want you to be passionate. I want you to be level headed. I want you to be rational. I want you to be eccentric. I want you to love. I want you to be loved. I want you to be creative. I want you to be happy. I want you to be: you.

I can go on, but hey, this is not my last letter to you.

Parents more often than not, tend to dream through the eyes of their children. They try to correct their life’s failings or accentuate their life’s successes through the burdened shoulders of their kids. I am most certainly aware of that fallacy and have no intentions of committing that mistake. If we eliminate “Expectations” from life and from others, we will be a lot saner and happier. And so will others.

So by no means, this letter is a “to do” list for you. By the way, I have always hated those. This is just a jobless father fantasizing about some lovely moments for and with his daughter. I won’t be sad if you didn’t do the things that are in this letter. I am sure you will figure out other cool things to do and your dad and mom will be there with you or watching from a distance.



40 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I can imaging Maya reading this letter again and again, at different phases of her life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pravin. I hope she does read this and the many more to follow. :P Letter overload I guess.

      Delete
    2. And I guess we will be watching it all live. :P

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much Panchali. :) I am sure you can relate to this a lot.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. :) And how is your little grand bundle of joy doing? :)

      Delete
  4. WOW.. I am sure she will grow up to be a beautiful person and Daddy will be Ever SO proud of his little girl ALWAYSSSSsssssssssssss :)

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sirji for the lovely and warm wishes as always. :)

      Delete
    2. And I am sure your words will come true. :)

      Delete
  5. Parents are there to provide wings so that little one can take a flight of their choice when they grow up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was beautifully said Rahul. I wish I could have said that as well as you did. :)

      Delete
  6. I will wait for the day Maya reads this and see what her reaction looks like? :) We all have so many dreams for our children, don't we? There is a book, Suzzane's dairy for Nicholas..after reading it, I got inspired and started writing a dairy for Rushi which I didn't continue more than a few days though :P
    Now, no time to do anything except yell at him, pick up your shoe..put your lunch box in the sink...apply moisturizer...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha haa... I know right.. we think about a lot of things to do for our kids... but then we get so lost in our daily routines with them that they get pushed to the sidelines. Yeah... I too have thought of writing to her as often as I could and do something special on those lines to chronicle all the cute little things that she does... let us see how it goes. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah.. I am very eager to see what her reaction is to the letters. I am probably thinking she will have a hearty laugh at the least. Anyways.. good luck with your diary. Try writing that as much as you can. :)

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Archana. :)

      Delete
  8. "Parents more often than not, tend to dream through the eyes of their children." You have packed so much in that one sentence. Your 'second first love letter' left me with a constriction in my throat, as my heart yearns to write two second first love letters. You took me back to the days when they arrived, my twin beauties. And I am already on a penitence of what more I could have done for them, and what not I should have. They are still growing their wings, and I fear I might have affected their furs and coverts in some way, the imperfect fool that I am. But yes, they are going to leave twin holes in my hearts, sooner or later, but all I want to write to them is just what you wrote in infinitesimal details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me so emotional Uma. I am sure your twin beauties are getting all the love and more. I am sure you are doing everything to help them soar.

      Delete
    2. And did I tell you... your comment just made my day (as always). :)

      Delete
  9. this is very special . i love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shyni. :) This one is very special to me too. And welcome here.

      Delete
  10. Very sweet ...you have poured your heart into this letter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very warm welcome to you here Bushra. Am so glad you liked it. :)

      Delete
  11. Daddy's little girl will cherish this letter forever. Beautiful and thoughtful letter Raj. Straight from your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very warm welcome to you Jyothi. And thank you for the lovely compliment. :)

      Delete
  12. I will be posting a comment for the third time. Once I tried while traveling and other time at Chipotle.

    First, you have supremely talented wife, please share her musical journey with us. This letter is super cool and you are the winner of coolest daddy award for building a bigger bathroom and placing drums there. I applaud your forward thinking as you've mentioned 'person' she would fall in love with. No gender bias, I read. Correct me if I am wrong. Love the dollops of wisdom in the letter too.

    I seriously want her to write a reply and read it on this blog. I know a long long time before that could happen.

    Heartwarming and fun read. Love to Maya! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And finally I posted a comment! Yay!

      Delete
    2. Third time is the charm. :) Saru... this comment just literally made my day. So sweet of you. :)

      Yeah... I will have to come up with something about my wife's musical chops. :) Btw... she was all smiles when she read your comment and says a big thank you. :)

      Delete
    3. And yeah... No biases at all. :) Love is something that we don't choose. It chooses us. So there is no room for any bias there (at least in my view). Thank you so much for the lovely award too. ;) :)

      Delete
    4. I want her to read the letter and write a reply too. Don't know if and when that will happen. :)

      Delete
  13. The best gift a father can give to his daughter - unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a beautiful statement. You said it much better than I could ever have.

      Delete
  14. So cute!
    Some parts of the letter actually gave me goosebumps, Raj.

    Have a lovely weekend, you three. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Divya. :) Am so glad you liked it. :)

      Yeah.... weekends are great fun nowadays with the little monster. ;)

      Delete
  15. I had tears reading this post Raj, time for me to write a letter too. Amazingly you have forecasted your dream for your princess, someday she will be so happy knowing how much she is loved and blessed. Hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww.. thank you so much Ramya. I wish she reads this letter someday and hopefully does not laugh through it. :P

      Delete
    2. oh btw.. you should write that letter too. :)

      Delete
  16. That was the most touching letter ! It's a Beautiful bond that is sometimes hard to put into words but you have. ... wonderfully

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soo wonderful to have you back Sujatha. Thank you so much for the lovely words.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...